Thursday, August 7, 2008

An Early Wake Up

So Yesterday I figured I was sleeping too much; So I decided that I would tell my significant other to wake me up early.

It worked out very nice, I went Walking for an hour did two Miles - Saw some birds, Dogs and squirrels - and well try to reconnect with health and nature.

As I walked I just kept on thinking about how many people really want to start doing some sort of exercise, but you just don't feel like doing it alone. Or those of us, that want to give back maybe become a volunteer or just try to see where you can help - And this is so difficult -

I live in Miami and well I have tried for the past few weeks to find orphanages or just some type of activity where I can feel I am giving back - And this is so hard because they ask you to fill out like a bunch of forms, Then they really don't call you or touch basis with you, You have to be on top of it the whole entire time - They ask you to be by far the most exemplary citizen, but then they don't really have positions to volunteer; so you become part of a database.

This is true for job hunting - If you are trying to make a move because you are a recent graduate or you just feel bored at work - Guess what ? - Don't sit and wait - Because even thought all the websites seemed to be full with jobs - You are always either too qualified or under qualified and they just don't give you the time of day - I do find the fact that some companies at least e-mail you rejection letters - somewhat of a nice new thing - I mean don't get me wrong - no one wants to get a rejection letter - But at least you can scratch that job from your list of Maybe just maybe I will get a call.

I am a recent graduate of Computer Engineer - And even though my counselor told me before I graduated that 75% of graduates never actually get a job in the field - I felt - Not Me ! , I will be able to transition from Working full time as an Assistant to a job in my degree - Was I wrong ??.. Big time ! ... Every job posting I find - Requires you to have 5 years experience - of course I mean the decent paying ones - Otherwise you have to settle for $6-8 dollars an hour. Not that I am trying to be greedy in an entry level position - But I have bills on top of bills on top of bills from going to school.

There is the School loan, then there is the car payment [ You can't live in Miami and not have a car] , Then there is Insurance, Then of course the credit cards that paid for books and the Laptop I needed for programming classes - Then the house, Taxes, Food and of course the terrible gas prices. Then I think Gosh when did I become a paycheck to paycheck person - No time to enjoy that 1 hour walk - because I need to be out there looking for Money....

If only my mom saying of " Money doesn't grow on trees" Could be a lie and I could find a money tree. Then I could get the $6-8 Engineering job, Pay off by Bills.. and of course end like Cinderella and live happily ever after.

So I end by saying - I think I don't want to be woken up early anymore - Because this is just too much thinking...

No comments: